Prof. (Dr.) Chandrakant Kokate who had rich experience of being the Vice-Chancellor of two State Universities viz. Kakatiya University, Warangal, and Nagarjuna University, Guntur, both located in Andhra Pradesh, is presently vice chancellor of KLE University Belgaum. He was President of Pharmacy Council of India for two terms and has also served on various national level committees of NAAC, UGC, and MHRD, of Govt. of India. He has a vision of taking KLE University to greater heights and under his guidance KLE University has undertaken a developmental plan of the University with a long term perspective known as ‘VISION 2020’ which while encompassing our inherent values, will address the needs of changing times to enable us to become the torch bearers of in the field of comprehensive quality education.
Date of Birth: 15th August 1947 (At Bhainsa, A.P)
Academic Profile :-
- B.Pharm-1967, Nagpur University, ( First Division ).
- M.Pharm-1969, University of Saugar, First in First ( Awarded Gold Medal ).
- Ph.D-1972, ( Pharm. Sci.) By Thesis.
- Post Doctoral Research at Bundesanstalt Fuer Fett Forschung, Germany .
- Visiting Scientist in Germany ( 1986 ) on invitation by DAAD.
Positions Held :-
- Vice–Chancellor, Kakatiya University, Warangal, A.P.
- President, Pharmacy Council of India.
- President, 50th Indian Pharmaceutical Congress alongwith Federation of Asian Pharmaceutical Association (FAPA).
- National President, Indian Pharmaceutical Association.
- President, Indian society of Pharmacognosy.
- Executive Committee Member of All India Council for Technical Education ( AICTE ).
- Vice–Chancellor ( FAC ), Nagarjuna University, Guntur, A.P.
- Chairman, All Indian Board of Pharmacy, AICTE
- Member, Drugs Technical Advisory Board, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India .
- Member, UGC Standing Committee for Projection of Indian Higher Education Abroad ( PIHEAD ), Review and Plan Grant Committees.
- Member, National Board of Accreditation of AICTE.
- Member, Task Force of Department of Biotechnology, Goverment of India.
- Leader of Indian Delegation of Pharmacists, to 18th Federation of Asian Pharmaceutical Association ( FAPA ) at Sydney, Australia and International Pharmaceutical Federation ( FIP ) Conference at Bangkok.
- Member, National GATE- Committee of Ministry of HRD,Govt of India.
- Member, QRT committee of Indian Council of Agricultural Research for M & AP.
Present Position :-
- Vice-Chancellor, KLE University, Belgaum.
- Member, National Consultative Commitee of Indian Pharmacopoeia Commission & Pharmacovigilance, Government of India.
- Member, National Scientific Advisory Group (SAG) of the Division of Basic Medical Sciences (BMS), Indian Council of Medical Research.
- Chairman-Expert Panel Committee for approval of Fixed Dose Combinations,(FDC’s) Ministry of Health, Government of India.
- Chairman/ Member of UGC Committees for Universities, UGC Nominee for Special Assistance Programs.
- Chairman, PEER TEAM of NAAC and NBA.
- Scientific Coordinator, EDUCON. SAKAAL Group, Pune.
- National Adviser, Society of Pharmacognosy.
First Pharmacist in the country to become :-
- Vice-Chancellor of an Indian University.
- Vice-Chancellor of the Medical ( Health ) University.
- Chairman of the Regional Committee of AICTE - ( SRC ).
- Chairman of the Recruitment Board of RAC for DRDO Laboratories.
- Ministry of Defence, Government of India.
- Honorary Colonel Commandant, NCC, Ministry of Defense, Government of India.
- Honorary Fellow of Indian Society of Technical Education.
National & International Awards:- ( Total - 28 )
- Including Eminent Pharmacist Award of Indian Pharmaceutical Association and Life Time Achievement Award of Association of Pharmaceutical Teachers of India. Indian Sciety of Pharmacognosy and Indian Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists & Technologists.
- Unique distinction of receiving all Five National Awards given in Indian Pharmaceutical Congress.
- Visited around 36 Countries for Academic Collaborations and Presentations at International Conferences.
- Guided 17 students for Ph.D Programme and 40 students for PG in Pharmacy.
- Authored Seven Books in Pharmacognosy / Pharmacy. One Book is in 47th Edition.
- Published about 115 research papers in National and International Journals.
- Charied 17 Scientific sessions at International Conferences & around 50 National Meetings.
- Presented 45 research papers at International Conferences and about 80 papers at National Meetings.