Dr. NITIN M. GANGANE
M.D, DNB, FUICC, FICP, FAMS, Ph.D.
KLE Academy of Higher Education and Research Belagavi-590010, Karnataka, India.
Date of Birth: 11/06/1961
Residence: A-6, Vice-Chancellor’s Lodge, KLE University, JNMC Campus, Belagavi-590010, Karnataka, India.
Phone: (M) +91 94221 44856, (L) 0831-2444444 Ext.4301,4305.
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Work and Teaching Experience
Office Bearer and Membership of Academic Bodies
- Member of Management Council, Maharashtra University of Health Sciences, Nashik, 2013 – 2017.
- Member of Governing Body, Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), 2014 – 2018.
- Member of the Senate, Maharashtra University of Health Sciences, Nashik, 2002 – 2007.
- Chairperson, Board of Studies, Para clinical (PG) Board, Maharashtra University of Health Sciences, Nashik, 2010 – 2012.
- Chairperson, Board of Studies, Para clinical (UG) Board, Maharashtra University of Health Sciences, Nashik, 2012-2017.
- Chairperson, Board of Studies, Para clinical, Maharashtra University of Health Sciences, Nashik from 2001 to 2002.
- Member of Academic Council, Maharashtra University of Health Sciences, Nashik, 2001 – 2002, 2010 – 2012, 2012 – 2017.
- Member of Faculty of Medicine, Maharashtra University of Health Sciences, Nashik.
- Member, Board of Studies (Paramedical Sciences), Maharashtra University of Health Sciences, Nashik, 2010 – 2002, 2012-2017.
- Member of Board of Research, Maharashtra University of Health Sciences, Nashik, 2010-12 and 2018 onwards.
- Member of Board of Medical Education disciplines, Maharashtra University of Health Sciences, Nashik, 2012-2017.
- Member Board of Genetic studies, Maharashtra University of Health Sciences, Nashik, 2012-2017.
- Chairman and Member of 31(5) Committee of Maharashtra University of Health Sciences, Nashik, 2000-2002 and 2007-2017.
- Chairman, Grievances Committee, Maharashtra University of Health Sciences, Nashik, 05/02/2014 – 25/03/2014.
- Chairman, Technical Advisory Committee, Maharashtra University of Health Sciences, Nashik, 2013-2017.
- Chairman, Research Grant Screening Committee, Maharashtra University of Health Sciences, Nashik, 2014-2017.
- Chairman, Vehicles Committee, Maharashtra University of Health Sciences, Nashik, 2013-2017.
- Chairman, Rules and Regulations Committee for recruitment of faculty at Maharashtra University of Health Sciences, Nashik.
- Chairman, Committee for framing directions for service condition of teachers at affiliated colleges, Maharashtra University of Health Sciences, Nashik, 2013.
- Member, Finance and Accounts Committee, Maharashtra University of Health Sciences, Nashik, 2012-2017.
- Member, Budget Committee, Maharashtra University of Health Sciences, Nashik ,2015.
- Member, Purchase Committee, Maharashtra University of Health Sciences, Nashik, 2012-2015.
- Member of Selection Committee for the post of Registrar, Finance and Accounts Officer and Controller of Examinations, Maharashtra University of Health Sciences, Nashik.
- Member of Staff Selection Committee at ACPM Medical College Dhule, PD Medical College Amravati, SKN Medical College Pune, NKP Salve Medical College, Nagpur, MIMER Medical College, Latur.
- Member of Local Inquiry Committee, Maharashtra University of Health Sciences, Nashik for provisional affiliation, first affiliation and continuation of affiliation of various Medical colleges in Maharashtra for MBBS and PG course in Pathology.
- Member of Annual Report Committee, Maharashtra University of Health Sciences, Nashik, 2009-10.
- Member, Faculty of Medicine, Dr. DY Patil Vidyapeeth (Deemed to be University), Pune, 2018 onwards.
- Member, Board of Studies, DMIMS (Deemed to be University), 2015 onwards.
- Member, speciality board (Pathology), National Board of Examinations 2018 onwards.
- President, Academy of Medical Sciences, MGIMS, Sevagram, 2003 – 2004.
- Medical Council of India Assessor for MD (Pathology).
Office bearer and Membership of Professional Bodies
- Chairperson, Maharashtra State Chapter of Indian Association of Pathologists and Microbiologists, 2006-2009.
- Life Member, Association of UICC Fellows, 2007 onwards.
- Member, Executive Council, Indian association of Pathologist and Microbiologist, 2006 – 2009.
- Member, Executive Council, Vidarbha Association of Pathologist.
- Member, International Pathology Review Panel, HPV ahead Project of International Agency for Research on Cancer (WHO),France.
- Reviewer of International Cancer Technology Transfer Fellowships (ICRETT) of Union for International Cancer Control (UICC).
- Reviewer for National Health Laboratory Service Research Trust Grants in South Africa.
Funded Research Projects and Research Experience
- Establishment of DBT-UMMID initiative for rural population at Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Medical Sciences, Sevagram, PI, funded by DBT, Government of India.
- To establish a GCP Compliant Clinical Trial Network (CTN) for faster, cost effective hospital-based trials in Rheumatology, Co-PI, BIRAC, Government of India.
- Generating epidemiological, economic and attitudinal evidence to inform policy- making about HPV vaccine introduction in India and Ethiopia, Site PI, funded by MRC-UK and DBT.
- Survival analysis of Cervical, Breast and Head, Neck Cancers in Wardha District. PI, ICMR, 2018 onwards.
- Evaluation of DNA methylation signatures in Esophageal Squamous Cell Carcinoma from high incident regions of the world, International Agency for Research on Cancer, Collaborator, 2016 onwards.
- Multi-centric hospital based surveillance of Acute Encephalitis Syndrome for viral etiology among children in selected districts of Maharashtra and Andhra Pradesh, Co-Investigator, funded by ICMR, 2014 onwards.
- Expression of ER, PR, HER2/neu, Ki67 and p53 markers in endometrial carcinoma: Clinico-Pathological Implications and Prognostic value, Co-Investigator, funded by MUHS, 2014 onwards.
- Prognostic value of expression of Cytokeratin 5/6, EGFR, e-cadherin and p53 in Triple Negative Breast Cancers in Central India, Co-Investigator, funded by MUHS, 2014 onwards.
- Breast Cancer scenario in India: Knowledge, Attitude, Practices, delay in Presentation and Management, Post treatment quality of life and self-coping. Principal Investigator, funded by Global Health Scholarship, Umea International School of Public Health, Department of Public Health and Clinical Medicine, Umea University, Sweden 2013 onwards.
- Population based Cancer Registry of Wardha District, Principal Investigator, funded by Indian Council of Medical Research, 2010 onwards. Population based Cancer registry of Wardha District, 2002- 2007, Principal Investigator, funded by NCRP (ICMR) and WHO.
- HPV ahead (Role of Human Papillomavirus infection and other co-factors in the aetiology of Head and Neck Cancer in Europe and India), Co-Investigator, funded by International Agency for Research on Cancer (WHO), Seventh Framework Programme (FP7) of the European Commission in the Cooperation Work Program, 2012 onwards.
- mTOR as a Molecular Target in HPV-Associated Oral and Cervical Squamous Carcinomas, Co-Investigator, funded by National Institute of Health, Bethesd (USA) and UICC (Union for International Cancer Control).
- Screening of Oral Cancer using Salivary Test, Co-Investigator, funded by International Agency for Research on Cancer (WHO), Screening Group 2012 onwards.
- Expression of Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor (VEGF) Protein in Endometrium of women with menorrhagia and its correlation with Endothelial Cell Proliferation. Principal Investigator, funded by Indian Council of Medical Research, 2011-2012.
- Prevalence of Human Papilloma virus types in Cervical and Oral Cancers in Central India. Co-Principal Investigator, funded by International Agency for Research on Cancer (WHO), UICC (Union for International Cancer Control), 2007.
- Study of p53 and ras mutations in oral cancer. Co-Principal Investigator, funded by National Institute of Health, Bethesda (USA) and UICC (Union for International Cancer Control), 2010.
- Hospital Based Cancer Registry, Co-Investigator, ICMR, 2001 – 2003.
- Association of EBV infection with non-familial Breast Cancer in Women in Central India, An Immune-histochemical and Serological study, Principal Investigator, funded by University Grants Commission, India, 2007.
- Mast Cell Density in Histological patterns of Leprosy, Principal Investigator, funded by Govt. of Maharashtra, India,2005.
- Risk Factors for Oral Cancer, Principal Investigator, STS project, ICMR, 2002.
- Evaluation of Diagnostic use of purified Mycobacterium tuberculosis ESAS – 7 antigen in Extra-pulmonary tuberculosis, Co-Investigator, funded by Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), 2000 – 2004.
- Biochemical characterization of secretory proteins of diagnostic importance and their use for immunological studies in tuberculosis, Co-Investigator, funded by Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), 2004 – 2007.
- Screening of Carcinoma of Cervix in Rural Population at MGIMS, Sevagram Co Investigator, 1997-2001.
Workshops / Conferences Organized
- Organizing Secretary MAPCON 2003- State Chapter conference of Maharashtra Association of Pathologists and Microbiologists, September 2003, MGIMS Sevagram.
- Chief Coordinator, First Training Workshop for Medical Officers and Technicians in Blood Storage Centres at First Referral Units. Supported by UNICEF Office for Bihar, Dept of Pathology, MGIMS, Sevagram, 26-28 August 2006.
- Organizing Secretary, CME on Gynaecological Cytology, JNMC, Sawangi (Meghe), 1995.
- Organizing Secretary, National Symposium and update on Problem areas in Diagnostic Oncopathology at MGIMS Sewagram, 1999.
- Organizing Secretary, Annual Meeting of VAPM at MGIMS, Sevagram.
Responsibilities of Scientific Publications
- Editorial Board of Sevamed, Quarterly update on Infectious Disease Research and Traditional Medicine. Supported by Department of Biotechnology, GOI, Editorial Board of Indian journal of Pathology and Oncology, Editorial board of Aperito Journal of infectious diseases and vaccines.
- Reviewer of Journal of Indian Medical Association, Journal of Cytology, Indian Journal of Cancer, Achieves of Obstetrics and Gynecology, International Journal of tuberculosis and lung diseases, Journal of Histochemistry, Nutrition and Metabolism, Experimental and Molecular Pathology, Journal of Clinical Pathology and Forensic Medicine, International Journal of Medicine and Medical Sciences.
Contribution to UG and PG teaching programme
- Member of expert group of MCI for DM (Oncopathology).
- Member of Expert group (Pathology) National board of examinations.
- Research Guide for PhD (Pathology) from MUHS, Nashik, PhD (Genetics), MD (Pathology) from Nagpur University and MUHS, Nashik, Co- guide for MD in Pharmacology, Forensic Medicine, Surgery, Medicine, Community Medicine and Obstetrics and Gynecology, Guide for STS Scheme of ICMR for UG students, Research Guide for MSc (Biotechnology) and M. Pharm Students.
- Completed guidance for PhD (Pathology) to Dr. Kiranabala Roshanlal for the topic “Expression of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) protein in endometrium of women with menorrhagia and its correlation with endothelial cell proliferation”. Awarded PhD in 2017 by MUHS, Nashik.
- Development of Undergraduate curriculum of Maharashtra University of Health Sciences in Pathology during 1999 to 2002.
- Development of Postgraduate curriculum of Maharashtra University of Health Sciences in Pathology during 1999 to 2002.
- Development of Log book for MD Pathology.
- Participated in 62nd National Course on Educational Science for Health Professional at National Teachers Training Centre for Health Professionals, JIPMER, Pondicherry from 9th February to 19th February 2011.
Publication of Books/ Technical Monographs
- Breast Cancer in rural India: Knowledge, attitudes, practices; Delays to care and Quality of life. Printed by UmU Print services, Umea University, 2018, ISBN 978-91-7601- 842-2.
- Textbook for Bachelor of Medical laboratory Technology, 2015, Editor, Textbook available online on MUHS website.
- Population based cancer registry Wardha (a project of NCRP, ICMR) Annual report 2010.
- Population based cancer registry Wardha district (a project of NCRP, ICMR) Three year report: 2010- 2012.
- Population based cancer registry of Wardha district, 5 years report: 2010-2014.
Total – 176 (International 77 & National 99)
- A protocol for good quality genomic DNA isolation from formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded tissues without using commercial kits. April 2022Molecular Biology. Reports. DOI: 10.1007/s11033-022-07394-1.
- Immunohistochemical Analysis Of Novel Biomarkers Cyclin D1, p53 And Ki67 In Endometrial Carcinoma: Clinicopathological Significance And Prognostic Value. January 2022 Gulf journal of oncology, The 1(38):15-23.
- Students’ Perspective Regarding Current Pathology Training in Theory Classes in MBBS Course and Insights to Improve Teaching-Learning Strategies: A Study in Central India. September 2021 Medical Journal of Babylon 18(3):266-271 DOI: 10.4103/MJBL.MJBL_36_21.
- Activation of CD44-Lipoprotein lipase axis in breast cancer stem cells promotes tumorigenesis. July 2021. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) – Molecular Basis of Disease 1867(5):166228.
- Do platelet indices play a role in assessing severity of pre-eclampsia and eclampsia? September 2021Journal of Pathology of Nepal 11(2):1790-1795 DOI: 10.3126/jpn.v11i2.31241.
- A Clinicohistopathological Correlation of Hansen’s Disease in a Rural Tertiary Care Hospital of Central India. November 2020. Journal of Global Infectious Diseases 12(4):191.
- HPV DNA genotyping, HPV E6*I mRNA detection, and p16INK4a/Ki-67 staining in Belgian head and neck cancer patient specimens, collected within the HPV- AHEAD study. June 2021.Cancer Epidemiology 72(36):101925.
- Genome-wide DNA methylation profiling of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma from global high-incidence regions identifies crucial genes and potential cancer markers. March 2021 Cancer Research DOI: 10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-20-3445.
- A Clinicohistopathological Correlation of Hansen’s Disease in a Rural Tertiary Care Hospital of Central India. November 2020.Journal of Global Infectious Diseases 12(4):191.
- A Rare Case of Primary Malignant Mesenchymoma Arising from Submandibular Salivary Gland. Deshmukh AV, Shivkumar VB, Gangane NM.Oman Med J. 2020 Nov 30;35(6):e209.
- Role of Human Papillomavirus Infection in Head and Neck Cancer in Italy: The HPV-AHEAD Study. Cancers, 2020; 12(12):3567.
- Automated versus manual method for Reticulocyte Count: A Comparative Study in Rural Central India. Iraqi J Hematol, 2020; 9:145-9.
- Netherton Syndrome: an atypical presentation. Cutis, 2019; 103(4):E27-9.
- Immunological host responses as surveillance and prognostic markers in tubercular infections. Int J Mycobacteriol, 2019; 8(2):190-195.
- The burden of cancers and their variations across the states of India: the Global Burden of Disease Study 1990-2016. India State-Level Disease Burden Initiative Cancer Collaborators. Lancet Oncol, 2018; 19(10):1289-1306.
- Quality of Life Determinants in Breast Cancer Patients in Central Rural India. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2017;18(12):3325-3332.
- Role of mucosal high-risk Human Papillomavirus types in head and neck cancers in central India. Int J Cancer, 2017; 141(1):143-151.
- Development and validation of a protocol for optimizing the use of paraffin blocks in molecular epidemiological studies: The example from the HPV-AHEAD study. PLoS One, 2017; 12(10):e0184520.
- Phacomatosis Cesioflammea in association with von Recklinghausen disease (neurofibromatosis type I). Cutis, 2017; 99(2):E35-E37.
- Women’s Knowledge, Attitudes, and Practices about Breast Cancer in a Rural District of Central India. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2015;16(16):6863-70.
- Prevalence and Risk Factors for Patient Delay among Women with Breast Cancer in Rural India. Asia Pac J Public Health, 2016; 28(1):72-82.
- Chromoblastomycosis in a resident of a leprosarium. Lepr Rev, 2015; 86(1):102- 7.
- Prevention of tumor growth driven by PIK3CA and HPV oncogenes by targeting mTOR signaling with metformin in oral squamous carcinomas expressing OCT3. Cancer Prev Res (Phila), 2015; 8(3):197-207.
- Sclerosing stromal tumor of ovary. Obstet Gynecol Sci, 2014; 57(5):405-408.
- Abdomino-pelvic actinomycetoma successfully treated with combination chemotherapy. Australas J Dermatol, 2014; 55(3):230-2.
- Hemostatic alterations in liver diseases. Int J Biomed Adv Res, 2014; 5(5):113-116.
- Primary squamous cell carcinoma of the breast. Int J Appl Basic Med Res, 2014;4(1):53-5.
- Analysis of reasons for discarding blood and blood components in a blood bank of tertiary care hospital in Central India: A prospective study. Int J Med and Public Health, 2014; 4(1):72-74.
- Study of ethylene diamine tetra acetic acid (EDTA) – dependent pseudo- thrombocytopenia. Acta Medica Scientia, 2014;1(1):1-5.
- Efficacy of Fluorescent Method over Conventional ZN Method in Detection of Acid Fast Bacilli among Various Cytomorphological Patterns of Tubercular Lymphadenitis. International Journal of Science and Research (IJSR), 2013; 4(9):4-438.
- Effects of iron deficiency on cognitive function in school going adolescent females in rural area of central India. Anemia. 2013; 2013:819136.
- Rising trends of HCV infection over a period of 4 years among blood donors in central India: A retrospective study. Int J Med and Public Health, 2013; 3(4):240- 243.
- Study of ethylene diamine tetra acetic acid (EDTA)-dependent pseudothrombocytopenia: an incidental but important finding. Int J Biomed and Adv Res. 2013;4(12):878-885.
- mTOR as a molecular target in HPV-associated oral and cervical squamous carcinomas. Clin Cancer Res, 2012; 18(9):2558-68.
- Multiple giant nerve abscesses presenting like lipoma in a treated patient of Hansen’s disease. Int J Dermatol, 2012; 51(7):835-7.
- Detection of lupus erythematosus cells in pleural effusion: An unusual presentation of systemic lupus erythematosus. J Cytol, 2012; 29(1):77-9.
- Cytological diagnosis of filarial infection in an endemic area where screening and prophylaxis is in place. Cytopathology, 2012; 23 (5):325-9.
- Spectrum of male breast lesions diagnosed by fine needle aspiration cytology: A 5-year experience at a tertiary care rural hospital in central India. Diagn Cytopathol, 2012; 40(2):113-7.
- Metaplastic carcinoma of the breast cytological diagnosis and diagnostic pitfalls. Acta Cytol, 2011; 55(4):313-8.
- Quantitative Assessment of DNA damage directly in lens epithelial cells in senile cataract patients. Mol Vis, 2011; 17:6.
- Cryptococcus peritonitis a rare manifestation in HIV positive host: a case report. Diagn Cytopathol. 2011; 39(5):365-7.
- Large pulmonary cryptococcoma and cryptococcal meningitis in an immunocompetent patient: a case report. Diagn Cytopathol, 2010; 38(12):929- 31.
- Xanthogranulomatous Salpingitis with enterobial appendicits. J Obstet Gynaecol, 2011; 31(1):95-6.
- Combination of cytologic features which correctly predicts diagnosis of papillary carcinoma of thyroid on FNAC. Acta Cytol, 2010; 54(3):500-01
- Effect of Tectona grandis Linn. seeds on hair growth activity of Albino mice. Int J Ayurveda Res, 2010; 1(4):211-215.
- Inhibition of Mycobacterium tuberculosis secretory serine protease blocks bacterial multiplication both in axenic culture and in human macrophages. The Scandinavian Journal of Infectious Diseases, 2009; 41(8):569-574.
- Accuracy of a multispecies rapid diagnostic test kit for detection of malarial parasite at the point of care in a low endemicity region. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg, 2009; 4: 1237-44.
- Pentalogy of Fallotand cardiac paraganglioma: A case report. Cases J, 2009; 2:9392.
- Association of Epstein Barr virus infection (EBV) with breast cancer in rural Indian women. PLoS One, 2009; 4(12):e8180.
- Cytodiagnosis of Ollier’s disease a case report. Diagn Cytopathol, 2009; 37(7):513-5.
- Cytomorphologic diagnosis of basaloid squamous cell carcinoma a case report. Acta Cytol, 2009; 53(1):89-92.
- Conjunctival impression cytology in trachoma. Diagn Cytopathol, 2009; 37(3):170-3.
- Prevalence, trend and co-infection of infectious disease markers. Asian J Trans Sci. 2009; 3(1):29.
- Prevalence of human papillomavirus types in cervical and oral cancers in central India. Vaccine, 2009; 27(5):636-9.
- Cytodiagnosis of granulocytic sarcoma of liver arising in a milieu of myeloid metaplasia a case report. Acta Cytol. 2008; 52(5):619-22.
- Cytomorphological diagnosis of malignant eccrine tumors report of two cases. Diagn Cytopathol. 2008; 36(11):801-4.