Physiotherapy is a newarea of medical science that has become integral to modern day existence and rehabilitative care, across the world. This profession aims in helping to restore wellness to people following injury, pain or disability. A Physiotherapist assess, plan and implement rehabilitative programs that improve or restore human motor functions, maximize movement ability, relieve pain syndromes, and treat or prevent physical challenges associated with injuries, diseases and other impairments. They apply a broad range of physical therapies and techniques such as kinesiology, ultrasound, heat therapies, laser and other techniques. They also develop and implement programmes for screening and prevention of common physical ailments and disorder.
The KLE Society started Bachelor of Physiotherapy program in 1994, at J.N. Medical College Belgaum under Karnataka University Dharwad.The BPT program subsequently was taken under the aegis of Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences Bangalore in year 1997. The Department Started MPT program in Year 2000 and became a separate institute in the year 2004.The number of specialty branches in MPT has increased from 5 to 11 over the years.The courses are recognized by the Government of Karnataka and Indian Association of Physiotherapists.KLE Institute of Physiotherapy was taken under the ambit of KLE Academy of Higher Education and Research (Deemed-to-be-University) in year 2009. The 11 specialties in post-graduation are led by expert faculties dealing with academic, clinical & research training.All faculties are well qualified and among them 33% are PhD qualified with average experience of 10 years.
The students are exposed toClinical training in super-specialty setup at Dr. Prabhakar Kore Hospital andMedical Research Centre, Belagavi which is a 2460 bed establishment. Approximately10,000 patients in the hospital and over 50,000 acrossthe community are served by the department each year.
The institute has one of the best infrastructures with a state-of-the-art advanced Physiotherapy Centre spared in 14,000 sq.ft. The center houses Virtual Reality, Gait Lab; Hydrotherapy Pool, MATRIX, Shockwave Therapy, Dry Cryo therapy, Functional electrical Stimulation, EMG biofeedback, LASER, Cryo-compression therapy, compression therapy, isokinetic device, Sports Fitness etc.
The classrooms are provided with multimedia presentation tools, ICT with Wi-Fi and PAS facility.
- Community and extension services cater through 6 Peripheral Centers (Old age homes, special schools, PHC). For catering to the needs of community, institute has conducted 37 physiotherapy camps and 52 awareness program till date.
- The Institute received the best college award in India in 2016 fromthe Indian Association of Physiotherapy.
- The building and lighting arrangements supports the green buildingconcept. The institute building also imbibes ‘Swacch Bharat’concepts in its true sense.
- The Library has more than 8222 books and 17 journalsexclusively for Physiotherapy. Library digital section houses 30 computers with internet facility.
- Faculties of the institute havepublished334 research articles among these 171 are published in national and 163 in international journal.The faculties of institute have claimed 67 and students 57 prizes in scientific paper and poster presentation respectively. Studentshave also won 8 gold medals for excellence in scholastic performance at university level.
- To support the scientific publication, institute has started Indian journal of Physical Therapy and Research (Web site ijptr.orh Published by Wolters Kluwer Medknow).
- Institute conducts professional development program on regular basis. So far Institute has conducted 3 Conferences, 52 workshops, and 64 guest lectures. The Sports physiotherapy department extended consultation services to 115various sporting events of international, national, regional level events organized in Belgaum.
- The institute has MOUs with International (Thomas Jefferson University Philadelphia USA and Dr Randoll institut Germany) and National institutions/agencies (SPASTIN Chennai, CAPRI institute of manual therapy, New Delhi). The institute also encourages students exchange/clinical exposure to international and national repute institutions.
- The Institute strives for holistic and global development of its student and to achieve it students are encouraged to take up Yoga classes, visit to orphanage homes, old age homes, and local industries, attend soft skill training programs etc.
- The institute provides support to student through mentorship program, advance syllabus planning and placement cell activities. Students are encouraged to participate in sports, cultural, extramural and NSS activities.